Saturday, May 24, 2008

Box with folded lid



Here is a box that I made since I only have the baby bug and I can't make one big enough to hold anything substantial. I got the idea after making the card accordian box from Dannie's Designs. I wanted to have a sturdier box and I came up with this.
Finished size is approximately 5" tall x 4" wide x 2" deep
Front side:
Cut paper (I used 2 pieces of cardstock spray-glued together) to 8" x 9"
Score at 2" on each side
With paper situated 9" side horizontal, cut the 2" horizontal score line on the bottom left and right.
Fold those squares in and glue down.
Fold the top scored section down toward the inside of the box so the front of your box has a finished edge.
Your box should now look like a front and it's time to make the back.
Back:
Cut paper (I used coordinating cardstock with the front, also 2 pieces of cardstock spray-glued together) to 8" x 11".
Score just like the front at 2" intervals all around.
With paper situated 8" side horizontal, add an additional horizontal score line 4" down from top of paper.
Cut the 2" horizontal score lines (3 on the left and 3 on the right).
Fold the bottom squares in and glue down.
This is hard to explain, but I'll try. The top square on left and right should be folded and glued down to the second squares in order to form the lid for the box.
Assemble the rest of the box by fitting the back of the box into the front of the box. You can attach by using sticky tape or, like I did, using eyelets.
The box can now be decorated and is sturdy enough to hold cards, paper scraps or whatever you can fit inside!
I would love to see what people come up with so please email me!

1 comment:

matchbox20girl said...

Hi! I found your blog through the Cricut MB..I just wanted to say hi, and great blog, and THANK YOU for giving the instructions for the box..I've been wanting to try one of these, and I think I'll set aside some time & try your instructions. Your cards are beautiful, btw!! Thanks for sharing your creativity & blog!

Kim